Skip to content

Important Information

Please note that only one-year full-time students and part-time students completing their studies within two years will be eligible to apply for some sources of funding. This includes Disabled Student Allowance and Local Authority funding. If you intend to take longer than two years to complete your studies part time, you will not be eligible for some sources of funding.

Normally, fees are set per module per programme. However, we offer flexible modes of payment; if you do not wish to pay the full amount in one go, you may set up a direct debit for payment in nine instalments. All fees are liable to review and change without notice. For up-to-date information, please contact the Finance Department on 01244 512810.

Before you start your studies with us, you must produce evidence that you can pay your course fees and support yourself while you are here. For example, you should have evidence of a grant/scholarship from an awarding body, such as a Research Council, or a letter from your employer confirming their intention to sponsor your studies. If you are a self-financing student, you will be required to sign a statement that you accept your obligation to pay fees, and that you will do so when they are due. You will not be permitted to continue with your studies if you fail to pay the fees.

Fee Status

Your fee status depends on whether you are classified as a 'home' or an 'overseas' student. The rules for this are strictly set by the British Government. The following rules normally apply:

  • Students ordinarily resident in the UK, and other EU nationals who are ordinarily resident in the European Union, are classified as 'home' students, and are liable to pay the home fee rate.
  • Students from other countries are classified as 'overseas' students, and are liable to pay the relevant overseas fee rate. Exceptions to this are: students who have not been ordinarily resident solely because they, or their spouse or parents, have been temporarily employed outside the UK or EU; those with refugee status; and migrant workers.
  • If there is any doubt regarding your fees status, you will be asked to complete a fees questionnaire by the International Office, who will notify you of their decision.

Additional Fees

Please note that course fees do not take into account the cost of accommodation, living expenses, trips, equipment or books.

Postgraduate students are expected to meet the costs of typing and binding their dissertations or theses, in accordance with University requirements.

The University provides all full-time students with a Council Tax Certificate, which may exempt them from paying local council taxes. Your local authority will be able to tell you whether you can claim this exemption.

Other Sources of Funding

Applying for funding for your postgraduate study is never easy. Therefore, when completing an application for funding, here are some points to bear in mind:

  • Apply early. Most funding bodies have strict deadlines and will not consider late applications. You may also have to apply early for your postgraduate study as many funding bodies will only consider applications from candidates that have already received an offer of a place.
  • Your eligibility. Always check the eligibility criteria of the funding that you are applying for, i.e. country of residence, academic qualifications, subject or mode of study.
  • References. Ensure that your referees are available and allow plenty of time to obtain their reference(s). Also make sure that they are fully informed about what is required of them.
  • Make it easy to understand. Poorly presented applications will not be looked upon favourably. Try to be concise and give relevant answers to the questions. Remember to supply all documentation requested.
  • Contingency plans. Studentships and financial awards are often limited in number and are allocated on a competitive basis. Be realistic about your application and, if appropriate, consider seeking alternative sources of funding for your postgraduate study.

There are a number of sources of finance for postgraduate students, including research council grants and studentships, charities, or career development loans.

UK Students

Santander Master's Scholarships

Five Master's Scholarships of £4,000 each, funded through the Santander Universities agreement with the University, are available annually to full-time taught postgraduate students at Chester. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merit and to support widening participation to graduates of institutions in the Santander Universities network within the UK, Latin America, Portugal or Spain. For more infomration email:

Snowdon Master's Scholarships

The Snowdon Master's Scholarship is provided by the Global Disability Innovation Hub and Snowdon Trust to accelerate disabled leaders through postgraduate study, the scholarship will fund up to £15,000 for a UK Masters course and a £15,000 stipend while studying.

Applications for 2019 intake close at the end of April 2019.

For full details and to apply for this exciting new opportunity, visit the Global Disability Innovation Hub website.

Other Scholarships and Bursaries

Each year and award £12,000 in scholarships for postgraduate study to their e-newsletter subscribers who are yet to begin Masters or PhD study. Students wishing to start their postgraduate studies at any university listed on Find or should register now to receive application information by signing up to their newsletter.

TARGET postgrad run bursary competitions open to students interested in taking a postgraduate course. offer a number of bursaries, across a number of subject areas and applicant categories, and are open to students anywhere in the world.

We would also advise visiting the following websites for further guidance regarding funding postgraduate study:

Some applicants also consider taking out a Professional and Career Development Loan, but we would advise you to think carefully about this and be sure that this is the best option for you. Call 0800 100 900, or visit the website for further information.

There are also a number of commercial lenders offering loans to postgraduate students - please think carefully before considering any of these options.


Disabled Students' Allowance (DSAs)

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSAs)

Full and part-time disabled students are eligible to apply for a Disabled Students' Allowance. If you are part-time you must intend to complete your studies within two years to be eligible. DSAs are non-means tested. They are not meant to pay for fees or living costs, but to help with costs incurred in attending your course as a direct result of your disability, for example, computer software or extra travel costs. The allowance is available to those who study on any postgraduate course which has an entry requirement of at least a first degree, and is of a higher standard than a first degree.

If the course is part-time, you must study at a rate of at least 25% of an equivalent full-time course in each academic year. The course must last at least a year. Applications should be made to your Local Authority for this allowance, along with evidence of your disability. For further information, please visit the website.

If you need guidance about eligibility or advice when making your application, please contact a Disability and Specific Needs Support Worker (based in Student Futures Support) on 01244 511000 or email:

Please note: If you are in receipt of an award from a Research Council, a bursary from the NHS or General Social Care Council, or a bursary from the University, you will not be eligible for a postgraduate DSA.

International students are not normally eligible for DSAs. 


Part-time postgraduate students may be eligible for housing, council tax and other benefits. Information about the most up-to-date regulations can be obtained from your local benefits agency, or you may visit their website.

European Funding

Funding for vocational training in certain subjects is available from the European Social Fund. This is not awarded directly to individuals, but through organisations such as Local Authorities, Learning and Skills Councils and Industrial Training Boards. For more information, please contact:

Employer Department
ESF Unit Level One
236 Grays Inn Road
London WC1 8HL

Access to Learning Funds

If you are a UK student experiencing particular financial hardship, you may apply to us for a contribution from the Access to Learning fund, allocated to the University by the Government. Please note that the Access to Learning fund has limited resources, and that there is no guarantee that an application will be successful. Application forms and details are available from the Student Futures Support office situated at the University of Chester. You can telephone 01244 511550 or email for a copy.


Part-time postgraduate students may be eligible for housing, council tax and other benefits. Information about the most up-to-date regulations can be obtained from your local benefits agency, or you may visit their website.

Additional sources of funding

For other sources of financial help, check with your local library for access to the following publications:

  • The Grants Register, published by Macmillan Press
  • Money to Study, published by the Educational Grants Advisory Service in partnership with the National Union of Students
  • Charities Digest, published by the Family Welfare Association
  • Postgraduate Study and Research, published by the Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCS)
  • The Awards Almanac, published by Longman
  • Directory of Grant-Making Trusts, published by Charities Aid Foundation or contact the Educational Grants Advisory Service direct on 0207 254 6251

A list of postgraduate scholarships available to students across the UK can be found on the Hotcourses website ( or the Graduate Prospects website (

Non-UK Students

If you are an international student, please visit our dedicated international fees, scholarships and finance page. Here you will find more information on internal and external funding opportunities.

You may also be eligible for a scholarship awarded by your own government, the British Council or other organisations. You may usually obtain information from the Ministry of Education in your own country, or from the British Council.  


UKCISA, the UK Council for International Student Affairs gives advice to overseas students on possible sources of financial assistance. They may be contacted at:

Telephone outside of the UK: +44 20 7788 9214

Telephone from inside the UK: 020 7788 9214


Marshall Scholarships

Marshall Scholarships finance young Americans of high ability to study for a graduate degree in the UK. 

US-UK Fulbright Awards Programme

The US-UK Fulbright Awards Programme offers opportunities for you to study or pursue research in any academic field.