Skip to content

As part of the University of Chester’s commitment to widening participation to Higher Education (HE), we are offering a Travel Bursary to support individuals who have specific characteristics typically underrepresented in HE.

The bursary is to cover travel costs for up to 2 people, totalling up to a maximum of £100, for attending any of our undergraduate Open Days, Open Evenings, Visit Days, Interview/Audition days or campus tours held at our University campus.

Are you Eligible?

Individuals can apply for a Travel Bursary if they are attending one of the following events:

  • Open Day or Open Evening
  • Undergraduate Interview/Audition Days
  • Visit Days
  • Campus tour

Eligible individuals must have applied for a full time or part time degree programme at one of our campuses and meet at least one of the criteria outlined below in order to apply:

  • Be eligible for free school meals or pupil premium
  • Looked after Children / have been in local authority care
  • Young Carer

If you are a mature student you may also be eligible to claim for the Travel Bursary if you meet at least one of the criteria outlined below*: 

  • If you are in receipt of benefits, such as Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support, Tax Credits, Universal Credit, Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Pension Credit. You will need to provide a letter that details proof of your entitlement.
  • If you are a carer. You will need to provide a letter from your GP detailing your caring responsibilities, proof of any Carer Benefits that you receive, or a letter from an established Carer’s organisation.

*Please note, all evidence must be dated within the last twelve months.

This fund is for UK residents only. All awards are made on a discretionary basis and are subject to funding. Each case will be assessed individually.

You will need to complete the Undergraduate Experience/Visit Day and Interview Day Travel Bursary Application Form as well as the Expense Claim Form.